Frequently Asked Questions

Legally what is required to get married?

The legalities of a marriage are quite simple when it is put plainly.
Before your wedding day;

  1. You both need to be over 18 on the date of your wedding or have a court order allowing you to be married if one party is between 16 and 18 years old.
  2. You must not be siblings or related by descent
  3. You need to lodge your Notice of Intended Marriage to your celebrant (me!) one calendar month before and 18 months within your date. This form requires some ID checking to take place

On your wedding day;

  • You need two witnesses over the age of 18
  • You need your celebrant to say some magic (and legally binding) words
  • You, me and your witnesses need to sign 3 documents each
  • Paperwork needs to be lodged to the BDM by your celebrant

Now you’re married baby! 

How far will you travel for our wedding?

I will walk 500 miles to marry you. Actually, I’ll probably drive…

I will travel anywhere to you (the coastline of Australia is the limit!). Locations in central Melbourne are included in my fees but if you’re planning to marry outside of this area, let me know when you make an enquiry and I can provide a travel quote.

Do you have a PA system we can use?

Yes! A modern system that can facilitate large crowds in a variety of spaces. 

Does it matter that I am not an Australian citizen?

Nope! Anyone can marry in Australia (so long as they are legally free to marry).

We’re having a theme wedding, would you be willing to dress according to theme?

Um, yes, a thousand times yes!

What is your ceremony style?

This is the perfect question if you’re shopping for a celebrant and while I will deliver your ceremony meeting the needs of your style I am a very easy going, relaxed, confident and fun celebrant. I want to capture your love story and deliver the ceremony of your dreams while making your audience laugh before dabbing away tears as I hit ‘em in the feels.
I prefer outside, modern, fresh ceremonies over the traditional wedding so please be aware I may not be the best suited celebrant for you. The easiest way to see if my style is your style, is to contact me!

Where do we start?

Things might be a little overwhelming now but fear not as I can walk you through the process. Legally, what you need to know now is that you will need to lodge a Notice of Intended Marriage with your celebrant one calendar month before your wedding date. This will then be valid for 18 months. This form requires proof of identify checking by your celebrant.
The next thing you want to do, if you haven’t already, is pick a date and lock your celebrant in. Once this is done and the paperwork is complete it’s planning time!

Is the process different if I have been divorced?

If you are divorced I will need to see your divorce papers before I marry you so I can be sure you are legally free to marry. Other than that, the process is the same!

Question not here? Email me!

%d bloggers like this: